Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?

     Wow! Can you believe it's the 16th of May already? And it's Wednesday too! So, what's in your library bag this fine Wednesday in the middle of May? I am reading the sequel to Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's called Insurgent. It has taken a little bit to get going on this novel because I have just realized how fast I must read. I read Divergent, not even probably 6 months ago, and I forgot one of the most important parts! UGH! I had to go to wikipedia and read a plot summary so I could understand this new book! The flip side of this dilemma is that I can read books more than once and still always enjoy them :)!
      How do you read? Is it slowly and you soak up every word and nuance the author is throwing at you? Or do you skim to get the gist of what's going on? Or are you more like me and you just devour the books and want more, but shortly forget parts? However you read, the important thing is that you read.
     The end of school is fast approaching and I have been trying to come up with some fun books to keep my children interested in reading this summer. Right now, they are just so ready to be done with school for the year that they just want to vedge out. I can understand, can't you? A weekend like that sounds mighty fine about now. But, beyond that, I want them to really enjoy reading whatever interests them this summer and just love reading.
     My daughter just started the Hunger Games series, so that will last for a little while. It should also, hopefully, make for some interesting discussions around the dinner table. My middle son is another story. He finished reading one of the Little House on the Prairie books in school and got to celebrate with a Pioneer day of making butter, dressing in pioneer clothing and writing on slates. Perhaps something along these lines would be in order...My youngest son is in to Dr. Seuss, but not very in to re-reading stories we've heard already. Lucky for me, Dr. Seuss wrote a ton of books!
     What are your children reading? Ask them. Talk about their books and find out what they like. Share a book. Create memories that will last a lifetime this summer and start with: books.

"Read what you love and love what you read"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?