Stacey's Favorite Books

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday? Tuesday Edition.

     I know that it's really Tuesday, but we are going to pretend it's Wednesday and I am going to talk about what's in my library bag this week. I just finished reading first Delirium and then Pandemonium. I really enjoyed Delirium, but didn't care for the ending, so Pandemonium was kind of hard to get in to, but get into it I did and then was flabbergasted by the ending of that one!! Now, I am patiently (impatiently) waiting on the third one. I hate being on a hold list!!!
     So, one of my coworkers suggested I read Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, another YA dystopian type selection. I was skeptical because I've been having a really hard time with YA novels lately. They all seem to have such a slow start. Slow, as in, I want to put it down and try another one through 50 to 100 pages, slow! I have been diligent, but it really irks me that I have to. If it's a good book, which it usually turns out to be pretty good (at least good enough to read the next in the series), then why oh why does it have to start sooo s l o w l y?! This really drives me crazy. If you are a great author and you produce a great book, it should be great all the way through, not just at the end. This leads me back to the book I am currently reading, Shatter Me. This novel hooked me from the very first page. And it kept going and going and going. I love it!
     First of all, it's different. It seems like every other YA book out right now is dystopian. Pretty soon, they all start to bleed together and sound the same. They're very predictable.  This one, however,  is about a girl whose touch is lethal, so she is thrown into an asylum and never comes into contact with anybody. She starts to think she is insane and her thoughts repeat themselves in the writing over over over, which makes reading quite interesting, too. As the story unravels, you are captivated by her as a character and the way her life is unfolding in the society that has drastically changed since she has been locked away. I can't put it down. Of course, I am on yet another hold list for the second in the series, Unravel me. Of. Course. But, I am anxiously awaiting this one because I know it will start with a bang and keep me on the edge of my seat the whole time! If you like YA and dystopian novels at all, I highly recommend this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?