Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     It's Wednesday and I'm here to ask "What's In Your Library Bag?" today. How's the winter reading streak going? It sure has been cold enough and snowy enough to want to stay inside and curl up with a good book.
     I've been reading haphazardly. Some weeks I have time and others I don't. Just like any other time:). Anyway, one of the recent books I've read is After the Storm by Maya Banks. It's part of her KGI series, number 8, I believe. I've read all of the rest of this series and really enjoyed them. KGI is a secret covert agency not working for the government, but not working against it either. These guys and some gals go in and kick some major butt and save the day, taking on missions that save women and children from trafficking and private missions where the parents want their daughter back from the drug cartel. By book 8, a lot of the characters in the book are matched up, likely having rescued their spouses on some mission they were involved in.
     These novels are usually quite fast paced and exciting, not to mention "hot." After the Storm, is Donovan Kelly's story. He's one of the main guys in KGI from the very beginning. He doesn't say much, but he's the brains behind the operation taking care of the mainframe computer systems at their base. Donovan, by no means is just brains, though. When either women or children are involved, he has as much brawn as the next KGI member. In this story, the mission comes to them in their hometown. A young man is in trouble and looking for work to help support his two sisters, one of which is quite ill. As the story unfolds, and the Kelly's/KGI gets involved, Donovan becomes enamored with one of the sisters and vows to protect them at all costs, which means going up against their father, a very wealthy connected man who is also cruel and ruthless. This story definitely had the makings of a great one, but I found it to be quite sappy, off course from Maya Banks' usual wit and verve. Every page it seemed like was "Oh I know I've found the one. She is soo perfect and I'm going to make her love me. I know they are a ready made family, but I am happy with that." Blah blah blah. As far as I was concerned this novel needed a bit more excitement and danger and less lovey dovey. Sorry, Maya I give it a 3.

1 comment:

  1. I've read this series too and I have to agree that it doesn't stand up to the others in the series. I really hope Maya Banks writes a book about Rusty, an adoptive daughter brought into the Kelly fold. But, I can't get my hopes up that it'll be the next book released. That's going to be with Swanny and doesn't come out til June I believe.

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?