Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, February 20, 2015

From Our Recipe Box to Yours...

     Today's recipe is about making do with what you have. That nasty flu bug has made its rounds in my house recently and then it dawned on me that I had staff meeting to cook for today! UGH! Talk about scrambling!:) Since it is Lent, I also chose to make something without meat. So, here is what I created today with what I had! It was pretty darned good if I do say so myself!

I'm calling it....Spinach Egg Frittata (not sure what the difference between a frittata and a quiche but I'm going with this!:))

1 prepared pie crust (I had a package in the refrigerator)
8 eggs
1/2 C. or so milk
1/3 of a green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 or 4 handfuls spinach, fresh
3 handfuls shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
1/2 C. or so Parmesan cheese
Garlic Powder
1/3 can Bruchetta

Wilt the spinach in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Spread on top of pie crust in pie plate. Saute onions and peppers in butter and sprinkle a little garlic powder on top and stir in. Then, place on top of spinach. Add shredded and Parmesan cheese. Distribute evenly. Spoon Bruchetta over top of that. Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over top of everything else. You do need a cookie sheet underneath when you bake it because it is quite a full pie plate. I used a deep dish pie plate too. If you have a smaller one, I'd use less egg and milk mixture. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until knife in the center comes out clean. I think it turned out amazing! And I'd say my coworkers did too, because I don't have any leftovers to take home!:)


As the old saying goes, Necessity is the mother of invention!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?