Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, August 21, 2015

From Our Recipe Box to Yours...

     I don't know if you garden or not. I do. At least, I try. I'm not always so good at the weeding part. I'm a bit of a work in progress. :) This year, my mother in law had a zucchini plant on her porch that someone had given her and she didn't want. I threw it in my garden along with all of the other things I was planting and not weeding. :) Surprisingly, the zucchini grew and now I have no less than 5 zucchini in my refrigerator that I don't know what to do with!! A good problem to have to be sure.
     A patron was visiting with me this morning about a story in the Inside edition of the Waverly Newspapers and I caught a flash of zucchini as he flipped pages. There, was another intriguing zucchini recipe to try!! I think zucchini must be the most versatile vegetable ever!! From stir frys to brownies, you can do anything with it, it seems!!

Here's a recipe from a Waverly local, Betty Bast, for Zucchini Mock Apple Pie (found in last week's paper)

Zucchini Mock Apple Pie
(A good way to use those extra ones)

Ingredients:
6 to 8 zucchini, peeled, remove seeds and slice like apple slices
3/4 C. white sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 T. cornstarch or flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. butter
2 ready pie crusts
1/2 tsp. sugar for top crust

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cook zucchini slices in boiling water until barely tender (about 2 minutes). Drain well. Cool. Remove as much moisture as possible with paper towels. In bowl, toss together zucchini, sugars, spices, cream of tartar, cornstarch and salt. Place one pastry in 9 inch pie plate. Fill with zucchini mixture. Dot with butter. Place top crust on. Brush lightly with water or  milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat, bake at 350 degrees for 45 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?