Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, August 20, 2010

School Days article in Waverly Insider

It’s August again and the first day of school is upon us. Buying school supplies and gearing up for school always causes me to think about myself and my own first days of school. When I try to conjure up the feelings I had or remember certain years, I come up empty. I am sure that I was nervous sometimes and excited sometimes. I know that I was always ready for school to start. Being an only child whose parents lived in the country, I was definitely ready to get back to school and be with my friends when August rolled around.


For me now, as a mom, the first day of school holds a lot more significance. I have a feeling I will remember more of my children’s first days, than my own. It’s such a bittersweet day for me. Letting go of all the lazy fun times we had in summer…Watching as they get older and start new things….Knowing that they need me less and less each year…Yet, happy to see them growing and becoming more themselves each year. It’s kind of an ending, but at the same time a beginning.

I now have a Middle Schooler, a third grader and as Casey puts it, a New schooler. I can’t believe that all of my babies are going to school! The night before the first day of school, my son, Carter, said he had “belly beans,” a mixture of excitement, happiness, nervousness and uncertainty all bouncing around in his stomach. Emily, my middle schooler, was wondering how she was going to find all of her classes and where to go when she first got there. Casey, my preschooler/new schooler, didn’t start school on the same day, but we had an appointment to go and meet his new teacher. He was excited and wondering what his teacher and room would be like. As a mom, I worry about them having friends, getting along with their teachers, doing well, etc. I just worry. That’s what moms do, right?

The first day, my kids were all up and at ‘em by 7:00 a.m., a small miracle in our house. By 7:15 a.m. Carter was dressed and had his backpack slung over his shoulders lying on the couch yawning and saying, “I don’t want to wait for school to start!” We went outside and took our traditional first day of school pictures, getting several of the overloaded backpacks and excited smiles. Then it was off to the lines at school! We were 10 minutes early! I wonder how long this will last?? I give it about a week…

When they got home from school, Emily said, “Oh Mom, school is so awesome!” and Carter told me he had a fun day, and Casey can’t wait to go himself. I was so relieved that they had such a great first day and hope that it can continue throughout the year. Each year has new challenges and hopes. Ten years ago, I couldn’t imagine what these ages would be like; I know that college will be a whole other ball game in this life of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?