Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, August 13, 2010

To Read Series or Not to Read Series?

So, everyone out there who is a fan of reading series raise your hand. Probably quite a few of you raised your hand. Series seem to be what authors are writing and what people are reading these days.

Up until, the last year or so, I've always avoided reading series. Every time I would pick one up, it seemed that I would get in line reading behind someone who was an infinitely slower reader than I was or would just not bring the books back in a timely manner. I know that I could have gone out and bought the books, but being the library user that I am, I always opted to wait. Then, the frustration would set in as the days ticked by with no book. By the time my turn came up, I inevitably had already started reading another book.

But, a year ago, or so, a patron here at the library and I got to talking and he recommend a series of books to me with vampires, werewolves, and romance in them. What more could a girl want? This patron even went so far as to bring me in his copies of the first few books so that I could get started reading right away. The rest as they say, is history. I ended up loving those books and literally devoured all 16+ books of the series in record time. I did have to wait a few times for someone who managed to get ahead of me reading the series, but the books were always worth the wait.

To me, if I really enjoy a book, I feel like I get to know the characters, almost as if they are people. So, when the book is finished, I am always left wanting to see/read what happens next in their lives. I would imagine that authors might feel the same way, and so they write another installment for all of us devoted readers.

Yep, I admit it. I am officially a convert. I love reading series.

Don't get me wrong, I do still hate to be behind a slower reader than I am, but the story usually always makes up for it.

How about you? Are you a series reader or not?? And why?

Leave me a comment and let's talk about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?