Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??...

     So, everybody!! What's in Your Library Bag this Wednesday?? I am embarassed to admit that I did that, that thing that makes me roll my eyes when other people do it. I screwed up my face and said, "But that book's about aliens..." when someone suggested The Host by Stephenie Meyer to me. Now, I get enough of "Oh, but that's about vampires" with faces that I should know better. But, I didn't. My first reaction was that I wasn't going to like the book because it was about aliens. I've never really read about aliens before. I am a Trekky fan with the best of them, but to sit and read it in a book...not so much. I was skeptical and I hesistated quite a bit. But, since it came on great recommendation, I finally took the book home and started reading it.
     I must say, The Host, is a bit of a slow starter. The first few chapters, I struggled with the "alien" names and kept falling asleep every time I tried to read. This, in my mind, just meant that I was right about the "But it's about aliens" comment that I'd made. Never one to give up quite so easily, though, I trudged on. This particular novel didn't take as long as The Hunger Games did to capture my interest. All of a sudden, out of the blue, it hooked me. It's really good and all I want to do is read. I did tell a coworker last night that this is the point where a book is most dangerous to me. The Host is roughly 400-500 pages and I am only at about page 80. It will do me no good to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it, as is my custom, since there is no way I am going to finish it in one night. Ooohhh but I want to!!  I don't really want the story to be over; in fact, I was excited once I got hooked that I was going to be able to read for a good long story. But, it's good and I do want to read it. That usually means staying up late in my house.
     I do have a point here. The moral of  my story is, don't judge a book by its characters or cover for that matter. There are some really great stories just waiting to be read all about aliens, vampires, modern day romance,etc....the list goes on. Grab a book and start yours today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?