Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     Welcome to What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday this week!! I wanted to tell you a little story. The other day a patron came up to me looking for books by an author who is likely out of print by now. We owned one and they had already read it. So, I looked in the State Libraries of Iowa online catalog and found another for them to read, but I didn't have anything in hand to send home with them to read. And I hate to send someone away with nothing to read. That, in and of itself, is a scary thought to me!! We chatted some, and I asked questions and listened. Some new authors were taking shape in my mind, but they were young adult/children's authors so I hesitated to suggest them to this adult at first. In the end, I did and we went and looked and found some for them to take home.
     A few days later, this patron approached me again and with a stack of more books by that same author in hand and thanked me saying they really enjoyed the books I had suggested and were taking home more of the same to read... What an awesome feeling this gives me to be able to find something for people that they really enjoy!!
     My point here isn't the warm fuzzies I felt, however those were great, it's the idea that we should all be open to try new things. I tend to be a real "rut" reader always wanting more books by a favorite author or more stories just like the one I just read and loved! When I break out of my rut and try something new and different, my eyes are usually opened new discoveries are made!! Now, I'm not saying I've loved every book I've read out of my "ruts," but I have found some new favorites along the way. And if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again!! Just like the patron I helped the other day, be open to new authors, new genres, new  age groups. You might realize that you've been reading in the "wrong rut" all along :)! Stop in and I'd be happy to help guide you on your journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?