Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?

     Hi! Happy Snow Day All!!! What are you doing on this wonderful Wednesday? It's a snow day for my children and I am home at the moment with them. Guess what my daughter and I are doing? Yep, you guessed it! Reading. We are even both reading the same novel: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. If you haven't noticed, the movie for Beautiful Creatures comes out on February 14, Valentine's Day. I had checked the book out before I realized it was going to be a movie. I know, I live under a rock, right? :) Anyway, Emily saw it laying around and told me it was going to be a movie and she wanted to read it! I I told her she could take the book, so I bought it through my Kindle app on my phone and we are both reading it. How fun is that?! It's kind of like a mini book club with my daughter. Only she doesn't want to talk about it just yet; she wants to read more. :)
     Beautiful Creatures is quite interesting really. It takes place in Gaitlin, in The South. They speak with a drawl and refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression, have the perfect Southern manners and hospitality, and it's steeped with superstition and seers and magic. There is a 150 year old mystery that is somehow linked with the events of today and of course if I am reading it you know there is a romance: star crossed lovers so to speak. The story is all leading up to the 16th birthday of Lena Duchannes, one of the main characters and one of the star crossed lovers. I am only about half way through and I am finding it quite intriguing. I have yet to figure out who or what the Beautiful Creatures are but I am having a hard time putting the novel down. So is my daughter. I told her if we finished by Valentine's Day, I'd take her to the movie. So, I will update on the movie later, as I know we will both finish by then. We may even have finished the next in the series by then, too....
     If I have piqued your interest, please stop in and get a copy of the book. Then leave me a comment on what you think and we'll do our own mini book club online...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?