Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?

     It's Wednesday again my reading friends! And I am curious, what's in your library bag this crazy Wednesday? Can you believe there is a chance of snow??!!!
     Anyway, I am so excited! I have a book in my bag that I've had on hold for quite some time now...Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's supposed to be very like The Hunger Games so I am expecting a bit of a slow start, but an awesome read thereafter. What about you? Do you have a book that you've been dying to read?
     I did want to chat a little bit about something else that's been on my mind...What's with all of these joint authors anyway? Seems like everyone's doing it: James Patterson, Clive Cussler, Dick Francis...I just don't get it. Are the big name authors trying to write more books and can't accomplish them on their own? Are they trying to take a new author under their wings? Are they using their name to sell books for the little guys?
     How does it work really? Does the big name come up with the idea and outline and then the "understudy" so to speak, actually writes the novel. Or does it go the other way around?
     I tell you what. It kind of makes me mad. If I pick up a book by James Patterson, I want to read a book by James Patterson, not James Patterson and some other guy I don't know. I'm not looking to read 3 and 4 books a year by my favorite authors. I am happy when they write a great, well written novel that keeps me wanting more and waiting for that next one, whenever that happens to be. Even if they are trying to give new authors a start, I still think that the novel selling should be by whom it is by, not selling because it has a big name author attached to it, who may or may not have actually written the story.
     I may be wrong. These novels may actually be a collaborative effort where each author is contributing equally and just writing together. That also begs the question, "Why" when James Patterson, for example, already has so many bestsellers to his name.
     I don't know. I just don't know. Where do you stand on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?