Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?

     Hello. Your friendly librarian here. You know what I want to ask you. I ask every week and I'll continue to ask every week, hoping that it encourages you to read and share. I love to read and I love to talk about reading! So, here goes....
     What's in your library bag?!! I actually have a couple of things that I am reading right now. Crazy right? It's kind of hard to get really into one story and then switch, but I am reading one book and listening to the other because different circumstances call for different things.
     The book that I am reading is kind of a surprise. It's The Touch of Fire by Linda Howard. I've read Linda Howard before and really enjoyed her. She usually has snappy dialogue and some funny parts mixed in with light mystery and of course: romance! You know who you're talking with, right? Anyway, this title was suggested to me by a fellow reader. She had listened to it on a trip she recently took and really enjoyed it. We didn't have a paper copy, so we ordered it and I am currently reading it. I think it is one of her first titles. It definitely has romance, but this one is really more western than anything else. The whole premise of the story is that a wanted outlaw gets shot and kidnaps a woman doctor to help heal him while he is on the run. Yep, you guessed it: they fall in love and the story weaves on from there.
     The time period is right after the Civil War and women aren't widely accepted as doctors or anything really and justice is more like what agenda the sheriff  might have in mind, unless of course the bounty hunters get to you first and then it's shoot first, ask questions later.
     I just can't imagine such a hard life; no running water, i.e. no toilet, no shower, etc. Shudder! Now, I like cooking over a campfire as much as the next person, but not having the choice to throw a frozen pizza in would be tragic! :) But, it's always circumstances like these that are fodder for such great love!! You know, swoon, "He might die tomorrow! I couldn't live without him!" So, I'm enjoying my surprise western. It's good to have a change of pace once in a while.
     I am actually having a change of pace in both books I am reading. The other book I am reading/listening to is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I know, it's old news and I should have read it by now. I tried. Really, I did. The southern dialect just took too much concentration for me. But, listening to it is amazing!! It sounds like the characters are sitting down and having a conversation with me! It's that real. I am loving it! I haven't gotten very far yet; I am only just getting to know the characters right now. The change of pace is in listening instead of reading and in that I don't think there is going to be any romance in this one...I am having fun with it anyway!!

     Go try a change of pace in your reading!! It'll take you on new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?