Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     Hi!! It's Wednesday and time once again for What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday? I have a confession to make. I've been reading the new Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James because as a librarian, I wanted to know what people would be getting into when they picked up this book. With all of the hype surrounding it, everyone wants to read it. Even if they shouldn't. Now, when I say shouldn't, I don't mean shouldn't as in I am going to censor what you read...I mean shouldn't as in, won't enjoy it, but are reading it just because everyone is. I do try to pick up really popular books and read them so that I know what everyone coming through our doors is interested in and then I can better help them find more books to read and love. But, if the book offends me in any way, I put it down and chalk it up as not my thing. Which is okay; to each her own I always say.
     Back to the book at hand, Fifty Shades of Grey. First of all, it is for mature audiences only. Second of all, the part I was most afraid of reading about (the S& M) is not what I imagined. The author addressed this part quite well and prepared you for the little bit that there was included in the story. It is said that the author, E.L. James first wrote this story as fan fiction of Twilight and then made it into a novel to sell. I can see that.  The main female character, Ana, is an innocent falling for a  much older, richer, handsome guy who wants to take care of her and is quite controlling. This is similar to the Twilight storyline except there are no vampires or werewolves in this story. The other way in which this novel is like Twilight, I think, is how easy it is to read and get sucked into the story.
     That said, there are some parts that will offend some of you. And if you aren't interested in reading about the intimate parts of a relationship, then this book isn't for you. But, if you like to read that type of a story, this novel might be your thing. It's definitely a love story at its heart and the writing has an easy flow. The female lead is quite fiesty and fun. The bantering that goes on between Ana and Christian is my favorite part of the book. But, don't read it just because everyone else is. Read what you love and love what you read!

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more! I was pretty hesitant to read this book given the BDSM subject matter and my general dislike for more "romantic" books. I was so surprised to find that I LOVED this book; I couldn't put it down. It's an easy read, has fun characters, and the BDSM part wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. It doesn't have the best writing, etc but I didn't read it because I thought it would be a classic. I wanted it to be fun....and for me it was just that.

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?