Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday...

     Here it is Wednesday again and I haven't even had a chance to crack a book!! I'm beginning to think that my summer is just waaayyyy too busy :)! You know that if I had nothing to do, I'd say that, right?:) When I came to work tonight, I noticed the new Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel, Kiss The Dead, in my box!! OOOhHH!! I may have to lose some sleep tonight. Laurell K. Hamilton is one of my favorite authors, as you all know. Are you willing to lose some sleep for a good book? I sure am. After everyone in my house is asleep is my best reading time...
     What I'd really like to mention is a new Reading Program we have going this summer, Blind Date With a Book. Here's the press release that came out today...

The Waverly Public Library is going to start a summer program for adults and older teens on June 13th called, "Blind Date with a Book."
A selection of books will be pulled off the shelves by the librarians and TAB group. A wide range of books will be included, in hopes all readers might enjoy the selections. The books will then be wrapped in paper with the barcode numbers written on the outside of the paper, so when people go to check out one of the wrapped books they won't know which one they are getting. Thus, the "blind date."
There's a little thrill in not knowing what you are going to get! Maybe it will be something you would never pick out usually or maybe you will have already read it.
As a little added incentive, people who read a total of five or more books from the wrapped book selection will receive a coupon for a free small pizza at Pizza Ranch here in Waverly. After reading one of the "Blind Date Books" you can fill out one of the slips to rate the book for other readers that might be interested. We will post the ratings on a bulletin board for all patrons who visit the library to view.
We hope to have some people discover and like new books/authors/genres that they didn't know about before. Start and end dates for the event will be June 13th - July 27th, in coordination with the teen and children's summer reading programs. So throughout June and July come on in for a "Blind Date with a Book"! Also, a special thank you to Pizza Ranch for donating the prizes!
I will admit that it makes me a little bit afraid to not know what I am getting, but that's really the point. It forces you to get out of your comfort zone and discover something new!! So, come on out to the library and get a "Blind Date with a book"! I will if you will!!! Leave me a comment here or on Facebook to let me know you are participating and I'll jump on board :)!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to track down where "Blind Date with a Book" might have started (if possible, I'd like to give credit to the originator of the idea), and this is one of the earliest references I've found so far. Can you give me more information about the origins of this wonderful idea or where you first heard about it?

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?