Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     So, here it is Wednesday and I'm wondering What's In Your Library Bag this hot and humid Wednesday?? It's a great day to stay IN and read, don't you think?
     Remember when I wrote about our Adult Reading Program this summer, Blind Date With a Book?? I kept hearing such great things about it from our patrons that I finally took the plunge and checked out my first book! It was hard, I must admit. I picked out 3 different books, and then shut my eyes and told Kathy to pick one for me, because I just couldn't do it! Not knowing what I was going to read was killing me! What if I didn't like it? What if I couldn't even muddle through it. I wanted to commit to trying something new, but I was so worried about finding a book that I wanted to read, it was hard to embrace the idea of reading something totally different from my norm.
     Now, you all know what kinds of books I typically read, right? Guess what my first Blind Date book is??!!

     I won't keep you in suspense....It's The Shunning by Beverly Lewis. Amish. Inspirational. Nothing I would have chosen for myself. Surprisingly, not as bad as I expected. Even though I am somewhat of a niche reader, I can branch out. This book, however, not my favorite story, is still readable. The ways the Old Order Amish are depicted are quite interesting. Because it's hard to grasp the idea of a shunning and how they could believe in such a thing, it makes me want to look it up and see if some of the things are true or completely fictionalized. I want to learn more about the Amish. What a good book! It makes me want to read more. Reading. That's the whole idea.
     The characters are well developed and the story moves right along. There isn't a whole lot of tension, like a mystery would have, and very little even hand holding, certainly no kissing, but reading out of your box is the point in the end. And this book is someone's favorite, just not my typical read.
     Perhaps I'll find another author that I love and perhaps not, but I will have branched out and tried something new. And you should, too!! I urge you to try Blind Date With a Book. It's hard to let go of that control over what you are reading, but ultimately freeing and enlightening in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?