Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday...

     Welcome to Wednesday my friends, and welcome to yet another edition of What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday!!!! Today, I thought I'd share some thoughts from one of our high school pages on one of her favorite books, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  You know we all love books for different reasons. I might love the romance aspect of a particular story, while Kathy loves the dialogue and you might love the historical part. In the same way, we all choose books and take recommendations for different reasons. Sometimes, I choose to read a book because someone didn't like it! Weird, right? Anyway, Abby eventually wore Kathy down to read this book, where I haven't been able to convince her to try something I suggested yet...So, I have this book at home right now because someone was able to convince someone I've been trying to suggest books to, to read it. Go figure! Oh, and because Abby's favorite books are ones that make her "feel" something; anything, just "feel" it! A girl after my own heart...
     This story, at its heart, is the story of Hazel and Augustus, two high schoolers, both with cancer, and how their relationship develops in spite of, or because of the cancer. Abby says this book is great for adolescents because it  makes you realize your life isn't as bad as you think. It deals with a lot of issues that teens face....parents, life, religion...afterlife, does it matter, should we care.She told me that the book is very emotional, but at the same time very "real". She could totally see this happening in "real life." It's a coming of age story with a twist.. John Green makes you see things like having cancer, very differently. He writes in first person from Hazel's point of view and the language is very much that of a teen, not that of an adult trying to write like a teen. Yet, he presents all sides of the story/issue and even some sides you didn't even think about. It sucks you in and makes you feel what it's like to be a teen and to be a teen with cancer.
   
     My favorite quote of Abby's about this book was that "it makes you cry a river of tears and then drown in them....but you love it anyway!"
     My favorite quote of Kathy's about this book was that "it takes a big box of boo hoo" to finish it!

Finally, Abby says, "Everyone should just read this book!!! Just Read the Book!!!!"
















No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?