Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

    Wow! I can't believe it's Wednesday again already! Time sure flies when there is lots to do! In case you didn't already know it, I am a procrastinator. At work and at home. Consequently, I haven't had much time to read. I started reading some poetry to my children before bed, because it's quick and it's fun. Shel Silverstein is a favorite in our house....Here's one we read the other night...

Merry
by Shel Silverstein

No one's hangin' stockin's up,
No one's bakin' pie,
No one's lookin' up to see
A new star in the sky.
No one's talkin' brotherhood,
No one's givin' gifts,
And no one loves a Christmas tree
On March the twenty-fifth.

     Speaking of poetry...have you ever read a novel written completely in verse? One popular example would be Crank by Ellen Hopkins. This novel is about just what it sounds like: Crystal Meth. It is told in first person from the perspective of a 17 year old addict. Being in verse adds to the drama and illogicality of an addict. If you enjoy the first one, there are more in the series.
     I haven't actually read a novel in verse, yet, but this one in particular is on my To Read List. I'm curious about how a story unfolds in verse and how it all works. I've noticed more of this type of novel lately, but there aren't too many out there yet. Some other titles include:

Far from you by Lisa Schroeder
What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonja Sones
Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell
The Realm of Possibility David Levithan
Love and Leftovers Sarah Tregay

Give yourself something new this holiday season; try a novel in verse. It might be your new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?