Stacey's Favorite Books

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I know it's Thursday but.....

Here's the latest edition of... What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??!!!!

After last week's review of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, I finished the book and came into the library to get Catching Fire, which is number 2, by Suzanne Collins in the series and guess what???!!! Yep, you guessed it. My luck. It was checked out and I had to put a hold on it!!! GRRRRRR! I think I'll just put a hold on the third one, Mockingjay, now....Because, I am about 10 pages in and just know I can't put it down and I'll  have to read the third one, too!!

     In the meantime, I am signed up for an online Reader's Advisory class about mysteries, so I thought I'd grab a mystery to read so I could be prepared to write a review for this upcoming class. With this in mind, you  must remember that I usually only read mysteries that have some romance in them, too. I grabbed the new book by Linda Howard, Veil of Night.
     I first got started reading Linda Howard when I became a librarian and everyone here at the Waverly Library said, have you read Open Season by Linda Howard?? Oh, you have to read it. It's about a librarian!! Loved that book by the way. Linda Howard writes strong and funny female protagonists that never quite seem to fit their stereotype. Veil of Night is no different. Jaclyn Wilde is a wedding planner who owns her own business, Premier, along with her mother. In the middle of one of the most hectic weeks ever, 6 weddings back to back, Jaclyn has to appear in court for a speeding ticket she forgot to pay.  In her hurry to get back to the office, Jaclyn runs into handsome Detective Eric Wilder. Literally. She apologizes and heads off to her meeting with Carrie Edwards, Bridezilla. It goes so badly she decides to stop for a drink after work and runs into Eric Wilder again. Figuratively. It's his in, anyway, and they hit it off and Jaclyn spontaneously allows him to come home with her.
     The next day there is another meeting with Bridezilla and things go sooo badly that one vendor quits and Carrie ends up slapping Jaclyn. By the end of the day, however, Carrie is killed and Jaclyn is suspect #1 as she was the last person to be with her and has probable cause because there was a "fight." Guess who the detective on the case is?? Yep. Eric Wilder. One night stand Eric Wilder. The story continues on with the now 5 weddings and a murder investigation simultaneously. It leaves you guessing until pretty close to the end who the murderer is, while at the same time, develops the relationship between Jaclyn and Eric.
     Veil of Night is definitely a romance/mystery. At times, I wonder if it could be classified as mystery at all. The romance aspect seems to take the front seat pretty often. Since I really like romance, this is okay with me. One thing I didn't expect, though, was how funny the main character would be.
     I was soaking some achy muscles in the tub the other day....of course reading my book. I told you I take them everywhere...And I couldn't help but laugh out loud there were parts that were soo funny. My four year old had to come in and check on me I was laughing so hard.
     So, if you are in the mood for a light and fun mystery romance that is at times quite hilarious, Linda Howard's Veil of Night is one you should definitely check out.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?