Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday??...

     So what's in your library bag this Wednesday? 

     I have The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in my bag right now. This is a young adult selection that was recommended to me first by a high school gal and then by a coworker. I have to admit that I wasn't very excited about this title. When it was first suggested to me about a year or so ago, I quickly checked it out and began reading. I don't think I even made it 50 pages and I got kinda bored. It didn't seem to really be my thing, you know, an all powerful controlling government making people send their children into The Hunger Games where it is a battle unto the death. What?? No romance? No way! So, the book sat in my bag until its due date and then I returned it, not really thinking much about it again.
     I fell back into my romance routine and devoured several paranormal romance moving it to the top of my favorites list. My coworker, Janette, who is a big YA reader, suggested Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, as a book with young romace and wolves, two of my favorites. From beginning to end, I couldn't get enough of this book and I finished it and its sequel, Linger, in record time. Definitely good reads, by the way.
    Reading like I won't survive without it, has its ups and downs. Occassionally, as a result, I am left without any ideas on what to read next and am desperate to find something before I head home.On one such day, my coworker, Janette said, "You really need to read The Hunger Games. I think you will like it." I said, "Oh, okay," but I thought, "I tried that once and didn't really care for it." But, since I was without anything to read and I had really liked the book she suggested previously, I decided to give it another go.
     I started reading and thought, "Hmmm. I remember reading this before and it didn't really appeal." It took me until page 62 and then I was hooked. I can't wait to see what happens next. I take the book into the bathroom, the kitchen, by my bed, to work for my lunch breaks....Any minute I ge a chance to read is a bonus.
     I don't know about you, but I usually don't finish a book that I don't like. There are too many good books out there to waste my time finishing what I'm not interested in. Don't get me wrong. I used to finish every book I started because that was what you were supposed to do right? Now I only read what I like and rarely give a book a second chance because I didn't like it the first time, why would I want to read it now.
     But, as is so often the case, I was wrong. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is becoming an addiction now the second time around. Lucky for me there are two more in the series.
    
I love it when a book is so compelling that you can't put it down, don't you?


2 comments:

  1. Oh hooray! I'm so happy its working out for you this time. This is my "go to" book. Whenever I have a teen/young adult looking for a suggestion...I go here first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I was just gifted with TWO possibilities for next read. I'm almost done with a book and will soon be in that scary wasteland of "what do I read next?!". Hate that feeling when I'm all caught up on my favorite authors/series with nothing on the horizon! Thanks for saving me that!

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?