Stacey's Favorite Books

Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's Saturday....But I thought you'd enjoy this anyway!

Stuffed Bread

One loaf French Bread (the loaf should not be too skinny or too think)
1/2 C. butter, melted (You MUST use butter)
2 tsp. poppy seed
3/4 tsp. Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dry minced onion
1 tsp. dry mustard

10 oz. Swiss Cheese, sliced
One 2 1/2 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces
1/2+ pound thinly sliced roast beef
1/2+ pound thinly sliced ham

Cut bread loaf length-wise, cutting clear through. Place bottom half of bread loaf on heavy duty foil and make foil plenty big. Layer meats onto bread. (I put cheese, meat and then more cheese so it stays together better.) Place mushroom pieces (I don't use these), then cheese over meat. Place top bread layer on. (I pricked the top of the bred with a fork a bit so the butter soaks in butter). Bring foil up part way. Bend butter and seasonings. Pour butter mixture over loaf. (The butter will soak in and run down the sides, but the onion and seeds will stay on top.) Wrap up loaf carefully and close foil, but leave a couple tiny air holes. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes; 40 is best. (It is done when the bottom is crispy and the cheese is oozing out of the sides AND it smells SO GOOD!) Slice into 1"-1 1/2" pieces. Leftovers heat up best in foil in the oven.
Note: I have always used these ingredients, but really could use other meats after you get to experimenting. I also used individual serving hoagie buns before and wrapped 2-3 in each foil pack. It is easy also to make up two of these at one time for a larger crowd. I place the foil package on a cookie sheet for easier handling.

Note Note: I got this yummy recipe from my mother in law and made it for our library Christmas Party. I substituted turkey for the roast beef and added cooked bacon slices on top. Very Yummy!!

I am a little late putting this up because I did a little Christmas shopping yesterday, but I promised everyone at work I'd get them the recipe!! So enjoy everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. I have made this sandwich many times now... Thanks so much for the recipe Stacey! It's delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to make this sometime. It was so good at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting the turkey and bacon on for those like me who don't enjoy the beef so much! :)
    It was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?