Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??...Nonfiction or Fiction?

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday? is here again my reading friends!!! Have you been reading something really great this last week or are you stuck in a reading slump? Tell us all about it! We want to know.

For myself, I mentioned that I was trying to focus on Christmas shopping and the like. And I have been. I spent some time shopping and also spent several hours with my computer and a site called Snapfish. I am sure you've heard of it...There are some great deals to be had if you have the time and inclination. As for me, I make calendars for my family out of the many photos I take all year long. This year I procrastinated a bit too long and have been glued to my laptop trying to finish within standard shipping rates. I am pleased to announce that last night, I decided to just click "buy" and quit agonizing over it!! It is good and people will like it!! Besides, it's the thought that counts, right?

But, not really reading anything has been a struggle for me. I find myself stealing moments here and there to read anything. The newspaper, magazines, labels....I am going stir crazy not having a book at my bedside! So, I grabbed a couple of photography books and one on designing spaces in your home so that I could just read little bits here and there and not get sucked in by an awesome plot, which is what I want to do, but that is another story...I find I read nonfiction in this way anyway. Most of the time, I skim and scan the material just picking out the interesting bits. I am so busy most of the time, my mind doesn't have room for extra trivia, so this works for me.

Anyway, as photography is a hobby of mine and I don't really like my indoor shots all that well, I thought I'd see if I could pick up any tips before the big holiday gets here. We have a couple of new books, The Photographer's Eye, and Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots that I am reading now and am finding quite helpful. I also really enjoy the website http://www.kenrockwell.com/ because he writes in "staceyspeak", not too hard to understand. I think a lot of photography is about practice and I am debating challenging myself to taking at least a picture a day next year as I've read lots about the benefits of this to your creativity, etc.

So, are you a nonfiction or fiction reader? Do you skim like I do, or really dig in? Are you thinking about trying something new in the coming year? Chime in with your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. non-fiction....blah. Definitely a skimmer. Need a good story to keep me involved. Unless...its true crime or a memoir or something. Then it counts as both!!

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?