Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??...

     What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday my friends??? Currently, I am trying to read Jane Eyre and A Knight in Shining Armor (again) and I am listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with my children. I was having a problem with Jane Eyre keeping my interest, so I started re-reading A Knight in Shining Armor after I reviewed it last week because I've been itching for a good romance. My fellow readers of Jane Eyre tell me it's a romance, but I haven't gotten there yet...
     What I really wanted to talk about, though, was the audio book I'm listening to. I know Harry Potter has been around for a long time, but my kids are just really getting into it. My son had his tonsils out last November and we started watching the Harry Potter movies. Since then, we've watched them each so many times, I can quote lines. So, I thought they might like listening to the story, too, as there is more to the actual book than the movies. I put the first book on my Ipod and started playing it one evening when I got home from work late and wanted get them settled in while I finished up a few more things. They got hooked and want to listen every night before bed and every morning before school. I love not only sharing a book with my children, but I love their interest in the story as it is one that I also love. Part of the appeal to listening to this particular story is the reader. Jim Dale reads all of the Harry Potter stories and he is an excellent reader, changing voices and creating the characters quite well.
     I have listened to other audio books, new titles and also ones that I have actually read the book in hand, before and I will tell you, that a good reader makes a world of difference. It's ironic how many people have talked to me lately about using/reading audio books. We have one patron that drives for his job and he checks out audios every week. Other people tell me about sewing and listening, gardening and listening, housework and listening, being outdoors with children and listening, excercising and listening...The list of things you can do while reading/listening is endless.
     I have heard comments about not enjoying listening, too, but usually, it's an audio with kind of a boring monotone reader. So, if you decide to try one and you don't think you like it, don't be afraid to try another...

Don't forget we also have NEIBORS, an online downloadable book source for more titles to choose from. Just visit our website, www.waverlyia.com/wpl and use the button on our front page to begin browsing.

Happy Listening!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am listening to my first ever audio book and LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?