Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?...Thoughts on Libraries...

     Welcome to What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday!!! I recently read this blog and it got me to thinking about our library and how I use it. Obviously, I work here, but I also use the library. Mostly, I check reading materials out and for me that means fiction. But, I also take home children's books, CDs, CD-Books, DVDs, cookbooks, how-to craft and photography books and magazines. Plus, whenever I have a techie type question, I ask a co-worker/librarian, for help. When I want to research buying something, I use the library's internet and Consumer Reports database. I also bring my kids to the library whenever possible to participate in programming here to help get them excited about reading and libraries. Why??? Because it is easy to use/find and it's FREE!!
     It seems in today's society, nothing is really free anymore. With quotes like, "For only $5 more a month, you can add this or that," pretty soon you're spending your week's check and waiting on your next one. And then, when I've bought every book I want, informational or otherwise, and read them, for example; then what?? they pile up somewhere in my home and suffocate me with clutter. Whereas, when I use the library, I save money, time and clutter! Amazing! With the advent of online databases and catalogs online, I can do a lot of browsing from home whenever I have time, place holds, whatever, still using my local library, just at my own convenience.
     My favorite use of the library isn't online, though. It's coming in to use the library. The seeing and touching of books and the visiting and connecting with people that that involves. The library to me, is as much people as it is place. It's getting those helpful hints on where to search for information and the suggestions on what to read next from like readers and the "I bought mine here and really love it!" advice that comes from people and place connections that helps make the library such a special institution to me. What do you love about the library; how do you use it? What keeps you coming back? Tell me; I'd love to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?