Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?

     So, here it is Wednesday again and I missed last Wednesday because I was on vacation in Michigan!! Have you all been able to vacation this summer? I hope so. Getting away is a needed part of what keeps us all going....
     My vacations are usually fun packed and without much time to read, but I did bring along some
CD-Books to listen to while we drove. It was somewhat of a challenge to find something that would appeal to ages 6 to 40 with 10, 13 and 39 in between. One of the titles I chose was Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. The whole family LOVED it!!! We were wanting to stay in the truck to get to the end of the chapter. A drive along the coast? No problem!! We've got the book to listen to!! Then when we finished it, the kids were disappointed that I hadn't grabbed the second book in the series. So, now I know what we are going to do in the evening before bed... listen to Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel.
     The first thing that made the book so good was that it was a cast reading the story. We listened to The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen too, but that book only had the one reader and the kids weren't as entertained by it. Still a good story, but lacking a little bit. The second thing that made it a good book for us to listen to was that there was always lots of exciting things going on. You couldn't wait to get in the truck and listen to the next installment. This was actually the first time that an audio book worked really well for us. I think since my youngest is now 6 and more able to follow more of a story and the book had lots of action to keep my husband interested, my other two kids could just eat it up! Me, I love to read and listen, so just about any story is good for me. I will admit to liking the action best, though.
     The story...Matt Cruse, the main character, is a 13 year old cabin boy aboard the airship (good year blimp) Aurora. It begins with Matt spotting something in the sky from the Crow's Nest up top. From that subsequent daring rescue of a disabled hot air balloon to the scary take over of a pirate ship to the discovery of a new species on a remote island this novel is full of non-stop thrills. Kate DeVries is a young lady aboard the airship who gets tangled up in all the action right along with Matt. She is rich and sassy and she and Matt become close through their adventures...Ending with them both starting new adventures in their lives, the readers are left wondering if they will ever fly together again and where the ship will take them. Whatever happens, excitement will be sure to follow!!
     Stop in to the library and pick up your copy today and start your adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?