Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, February 11, 2011

From Our Recipe Box to Yours...Blueberry Muffins and some thoughts

Oregon Blueberry Muffins

3 C. flour
1 C. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 C. soft shortening
2 eggs
1 C. milk
1 C. blueberries (fresh or frozen), thawed
Sugar, for sprinkling on top (optional)

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl. Cut in with pastry blender the shortening (Crisco), eggs and milk all at once, just until blended. Add blueberries; stir in lightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned in muffin tins with paper liners. Makes 24 muffins. I love blueberry muffins.  A favorite memory of mine from my childhood involves blueberry muffins with big sugar crystals sprinkled on top and baked in!! Yummy!! It was fun sprinkling and fun eating!! Now I don't always have the big fun crystals, but just sprinkling some sugar on top makes a good muffin extra yummy! Plus, the kids really like it!! Try it sometime!


Some Thoughts...I wanted to just mention Reader's Advisory. What's that you ask?? Well, it's an art to say the least. Reader's Advisory is talking and listening to someone about what they read and what they like. It's mostly listening. Then, it's being able to come up with suggestions of new books the person would enjoy reading. That's the hard part. Hopefully, you can come up with at least one winner. Otherwise, you have to listen better and try again. Anyway. I love to do Reader's Advisory. Not only do I get to talk about books (one of my favorite things), I get challenged to come up with something someone really enjoys reading (another favorite thing). Sometimes, it can be a real challenge. But, I am up for it!! So, if you'd like to leave a comment or e-mail me at sleerhoff@waverly.lib.ia.us with some ideas of types of things you like to read about, I'll give it a whirl. I've never really done this sort of thing without talking to the person face to face, but I'm willing to give it a try if you are. If you aren't sure what exactly you like, i.e. romance, male leads, funny, etc. Try telling me what you don't like, i.e. suspense, murder mystery, strong language, etc. You get the picture. I'll try to get back to you in a week. Let's try! There's so many great books out there waiting to be read....we just have to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?