Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday???

     What's in Your Library Bag this fine blustery Wednesday? It's been good times for reading; especially if you have a fire place to curl up next to. I don't have a fireplace, but a nice warm blanket with a warm child and cat next to you works almost as well. I am feeling kind of stuck in a rut. I've been reading nothing but paranormal romance with an odd one thrown in there every now and then for quite some time now.
     There was an ICN session last week that I attended on the All Iowa Reads book Sing Them Home. The ICN session ended up not working, but a couple of other town librarians and I ended up staying and talking about books we'd read. I guess that's what librarians do best. Talk about books. Anyway, my point is that I read alot, really, alot; I've read 6 books in January this year, and yet, I was at kind of a loss during a lot of our talking. These ladies tended to read what I call "book club" books, books that you can discuss during book club meetings.. Now, if you come into the library tomorrow, I'd be happy to discuss the characters and romance in the books I am reading with you, but there isn't really any hidden meanings to glean from the stories I read. I read for pure enjoyment, no real thinking involved. I do talk a lot about what I'm reading and get ideas from other people about what they are reading, but we don't spend lots of time going into the stories and what they mean.
     This thought takes me back to last week's post about "making" yourself read some classics. I wonder if there are, say, a handful of titles out there, that everyone should read and be able to offer insight on. What do you think? Which titles would you suggest? Maybe we can get something going here...

     But wait!! I can't just end there without telling you about the great book I just read! I've talked about the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning before. Well, her fifth book, Shadowfever, just made it to the library and I got to read it first! Wow! Can I say wow?! It was her best book yet. I believe it would be a good book no matter what, but with the background of having read the four previous novels, it was stellar. Karen Marie Moning took you on so many new twists and turns that I wasn't expecting and went farther into the worlds of faery and humans interacting that I just couldn't put it down. 600 pages and a week later, I wish there was more to the story. There was mystery, romance and love, drama, a young woman learning to make tough decisions and living with the consequences, forgiving mistakes and choices about what's right and wrong...Hey, who says you can't talk about paranormal books in a book club setting??? It's all in there, you just have to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?