Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??...

     My youngest son and I visited a neighboring small town library tonight. We took my daughter to religion class and had an hour to spend together, so we headed to the local library. We didn't check any books out, not because we couldn't or didn't beg to, but because I seem to have a problem returning my library books on time, but that is a talk for another time. Maybe I should start Overduers Anonymous or something.
     Working in a library myself, I always find it intriguing to browse other libraries and see what they do differently. For example, something I've been mulling over is how to display some staff picks for our library users. When Casey and I walked in tonight, there on a little table by the front desk was a display of suggested reading by their children's librarian. I liked it. It was right up front where you check out and the books were all together with a poster stating whose picks they were. Simple, yet effective. I'll have to see what I can come up with for our library. Soon.
     They had a wii available in a separate room for in library play time. Even though, we have a wii at home, Casey was pumped to be able to play theirs. We tried our hands at bowling and a game called Outdoor Adventure. Fun times with my four year old!
     The most surprising thing, however, was the silence. It's been a long time since I was in a library as quiet as this one was. It wasn't that there weren't people there. There were even children in the children's section. It's just that they all were so quiet. I was whispering with Casey and felt like I was being loud. Now, I am not quiet by nature so this is somewhat of a challenge. At our library, people always comment on how they can hear my laugh all through the library. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. It all depends on how you look at it. This library was small enough that if someone was loud, they would likely disrupt everyone in the library. At the same time, I feel like a little chatting and laughing adds life to a place. I hear people every day comment on how libraries today sure aren't what they used to be. Change is inevitable.
     Ten years from now our libraries won't be the same as they are right now, either. But, I hope that we still offer something for everyone and that we are still a hot spot to be. What about you? What changes have you noticed for the better in today's libraries? What would you like to see in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?