Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??....

     Welcome to the latest edition of What's In Your Library Bag Wednesday?!! I've had some house projects I've been working on lately and I haven't had as much time to read, but I've missed it so, I finally picked up Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. This isn't my typical read; it's more of a "book club book" if you know what I mean. But, it came on good recommendation from a coworker of  mine, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not finished yet; really I've just barely started, so I'll have to give you a full review later.
     I can tell you one thing I really like so far is the format. Sarah's Key is written in two very distinct voices. First, one chapter is written from the perspective of a 10 year old girl during the concentration camp round ups in 1942 and then you get a chapter from the perspective of a middle aged American mom living in Paris and writing for an American magazine about the 1942 concentration camp round ups. I am sure there will be more of a connection before the end of the story, but for now it's just interesting to get the two perspectives. There were a few points in my reading today where I needed to just take a breather because it was making me sick to think about how the French police were treating children and how the little girl just doesn't understand, "Why her and Why her family?" Why indeed. It's quite a haunting tale so far and I can't wait to get to the end to see how it all comes together.
     I have a tendency to stay in my box as far as my reading goes. So, it's pleasantly surprising when I dare to step outside my box and find a gem such as this.

     The next time you need to find a book, try something different and see where it takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?