Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday??

Presenting.....this week's edition of What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday!!!!!

     This week I have been doing something I rarely do....reading two books at the same time! For me, when I start a book, I usually get really in to the story and want to keep going. Why would I want to stop that story and start another one??? I know a lot of people do it. They will have one book by their bed, one book in their purse, one book at work for lunch breaks, etc., etc. I usually just want to finish one good book at a time and really absorb that story. This week, however, I picked a non-fiction title. Something else I don't normally do.
     What prompted the non-fiction choice is something I decided to do for Lent. I always try and do something to improve myself during the Lenten season. Last year, I ran a 5K with a co-worker friend of mine. This year I decided I needed to be more thankful, so I am trying to list things that make me thankful every week. Not doing so well there...I didn't  make it measureable enough for me to stick to it. But, as with anything I do in Lent, next week is a new week and I can try again...Anyway, the book I chose is called "365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life" by John Kralik.
     The premiss of the book is that John's life was at an all time low. His law firm was failing; he was going through a hard second divorce; his girlfriend dumped him; he was distant from his adult children and not seeing his younger ones enough; he had a cheap apartment that was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. One New Year's Day he decided that he needed to be more thankful for what he actually had as opposed to what he didn't. He set out to write one handwritten, heartfelt thank you a day, for 365 days. I haven't finished yet as I am reading two books this time, and you know that for the most part, the paranormal romance that is the other book in my bag, is winning out in time spent reading. But, I thought this would be a good title to read to help me out on my Lenten journey...

So, which side are you on? Do you read several books at a time, or do you devour one and then head on to the next?

Do you do things for Lent? What kinds of things do you choose? Are you successful?

Lastly, What are you thankful for today??

Things I am thankful for today include:

1.Always, good books to read and enjoy. Cheesy, but true.
2. Great help in the huge amount of work I have to do with no strings attached.
3. Sunshine and rain boots, so you can walk outside in it instead of looking at all of the mud out there and staying inside yet again.
4. Coca-cola and the fact that I didn't choose to give it up for Lent this year.
5. My husband and the fact that he can always make me laugh no matter how bad of a day I think I am having.
6. My supportive co-workers and the way they inspire me daily.
7. My oil slick shoes.
8. The fact that I can run, even if some days I don't want to...
9. Sample of a power bar so I had breakfast today.
10. Being on time today.

1 comment:

  1. Today I picked up 3 books - "The Quickie" and "Swimsuit" by James Patterson and "Vengeance in Death" by J.D. Robb. I am sure they will be good books since I choose them because of the author. I also stopped at the bike trail after running my errands and walked for half an hour before heading home since I missed walking this week.
    As for what I am thankful for .... I guess today it would be that I am Thankful I am not as sick today as I was yesterday. ~ Marilyn ~

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?