Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday...

     Wowie Wednesday!! Can you believe it was 60 degrees already by 9 this morning!! In March!! Makes me think we are going to pay for it some time, but for now, let's take it! So, it's Wednesday, and I am wondering What's in Your Library Bag today?
     I actually have 3 different books today. When it rains it pours. I wait and wait for my holds to come in and then everything comes at one time and then which do you read first? Problems, problems, I know. Anyway, did I mention that I was reading another dystopian type young adult novel called Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien? In this dystopia, there is a walled in city called the Enclave that controls all and there is a community outside of the wall, but still under control. Inside the wall you are well to do and have every opportunity; outside the wall, things are rationed according to the Enclave and the first three babies born each month must be turned over to the Enclave within 90 minutes of being born for the "good of all." The main character, Gaia, is a midwife outside of the Enclave who is faced with turning babies over and then her parents being arrested. Gaia grows throughout the novel in character and strength. She learns a lot about herself and what she believes. The ending leads you into the bridge novel Tortured which can be found on Amazon, which leads you into the 2nd in the trilogy, Prized.
     Why is it that all of these teenage novels make these young people face harder life choices than any adult novel ever asks of an adult. I don't get it. And, they do an amazing job, better than the adults fare in their novels...
      Back to the 2nd in the trilogy, Prized. I have just barely started this one, but the cover tidbit is so intriguing...It takes Gaia from one dystopia into another one, only different. I can't wait to see the challenges that await her in this one.
     If the idea of a dystopia interests you, stop in. There is a definite trend in this type of novel for young adults right now. I'm sure we can find one that you'll enjoy!! If it doesn't interest you, stop in anyway. We'll find you something else you'll love!
     W

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?