Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     It's that time again readers....What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday!!!

     Personally, I decided to get off of my dystopian kick and am almost finished with the novel, Awaken me Darkly by Gena Showalter. I have read Gena Showalter novels before and enjoyed them; she's kind of a fantasy/romance writer. There is one series based on Greek Gods and the City of Atlantis; another includes dragons, etc.; always with an element of romance. My favorite! Anyway, this is a new series about an Alien Huntress. Ooohhh, intriguing. Booklist says "Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Alien Nation in this action-packed adventure." Sign me up.
      The novel takes place somewhere in the future, where cars are programmed to drive themselves and aliens have inhabited our planet. Of course, with the aliens comes the need to police them. Enter Mia Snow, Alien Huntress Extraordinaire!! She is petite and dainty, yet packs an incredible punch! She has the most alien kills of any on the A.I. R. Squad (Alien Investigation and Removal) in New Chicago. She shoots first and asks questions later, while at the same time is incredibly beautiful.
     Awaken me Darkly starts out with a murder in which Mia is called in to investigate.  An action packed chase later and she is neck deep in a plot so twisty and turny you wonder where she'll come out. I always enjoy a strong, sassy female lead and Mia fits perfectly. In fact, she reminds me a little of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, one of my all time favorite heroines.
     As in any good story, Mia has personal issues that crop up and surprises that change the course of the plot. I haven't finished yet, but I have placed a hold on the next in this series because I want to find out where Mia's story goes next.
     Awaken me Darkly is a little different from your vampire/werewolf novels, but a good new fantasy twist. Stop in and check it out and get on a new reading kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?