Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday?...

     It's Wednesday again and I'm your constant here to ask you What's in Your Library Bag this Wednesday? I'm finishing up Crossed by Ally Condie the second in the Matched trilogy, one of those Dystopian Young Adult Series I've been reading. This one has been kind of hard to get into. I don't know why really. It is written a little differently than the first one. This novel changes voice each chapter. It's written from Cassia's point of view one chapter and Ky's the next. Changing like that shouldn't bother me; in fact I usually enjoy books written this way. I don't know it's something. But, I've started it, I don't hate it and I want to finish it, so on we go. But, the next novel I read is going to be something totally different. I like to change things up; makes life interesting :)! Hopefully, you all are reading great books and can't wait to share with all of us avid readers!! I for one am always looking for something new and fun to try!! So chime in, here or on facbook, "What are you reading that you just can't get enough of?"

     My other thoughts on this Wednesday are centered around reading in general. Last week, while I was at conferences, I ran into the high school Remedial Reading Teacher. What she said to me really stuck. We all know that reading is important for success in life, right? But, how much do you realize that it doesn't matter what you read, just that you DO read to and with your children every day. She said to me, " Read every day to your kids, all the time. I don't care if you are reading the newspaper, read it out loud. Look at a magazine together and read that. Read cereal boxes, street signs, novels, directions, etc. Just READ!" She told the story of a student she had a while back that was really struggling with reading; he/she just didn't like it or want to do it. It was hard and no fun. Anyway, she convinced this student to make a commitment for a quarter or semester (I can't remember which) to read 40 minutes a day. She didn't care what he/she read, just that he/she read. Happy ending here is that this particular student raised their reading grade 4 levels in that time!!!!
     I agree wholeheartedly. Yes, it is important to let you child read and practice, but is equally important for them to listen and hear the flow of words when you read to them, also. Besides, what great conversation starters stories make that lead to super communication with your children and other loved ones!

So, Go Home and Read Out Loud Today!!
I promise you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?