Stacey's Favorite Books

Friday, April 8, 2011

From Our Recipe Box to Yours...

Twin Cronies

Have you ever heard of a Twin Cronie? It's a childhood memory of mine. We used to visit my Grandma's family in Oelwein and we'd always stop at the Dairy Queen in town and get a Twin Cronie. I don't get there very often anymore, so I just created my own version. The original is still the best, but this satisfies a hunger. Basically a Twin Cronie is maidrite meet and a hot dog on a hamburger bun with ketchup and either sweet relish or dill relish. I always got the sweet relish. So, here's my recipe for maidrites. Try one yourself and see what you think. Maybe you'll even want to roadtrip to Oelwein to see what I'm talking about. I believe they still serve them...

Stacey's Maidrites
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 C. ketchup
1/2 C. water
1 small onion, diced
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 T. yellow mustard
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger and onion. Add rest of ingredients, stir, and cook down some. Serve on hamburger bun with a hot dog cut in half and add either sweet relish or dill and ketchup and create a food memory today...

6 comments:

  1. My brother and I were talking last night about how as children we loved going to Oelwein for Twin Cronies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Carolyn's brother, but not the one shess referring to. ImI Tim, the youngest brother. Mom and dad used to drive to oelwein regularly for twin cronies while I was growing up. If I was really lucky I would get a taste. Unforgettable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find a picture of one to show my husband.....he's never heard of them.....I loved them growing up from a place called Sybil's in Lamesa, Tx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my mom, who worked at Sybil’s, they were created there by Johnny Aten.

      Delete
  4. We lived next to them in Oelwein and loved them
    This past weekend we were in Oelwein and stopped for some and were very disappointed. The meat was terrible.Dont know what was wrong but we could't at them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband said the same thing. He just visited his brother in Oelwein. When he was a kid he worked at the Dairy Queen.

      Delete

What's On Your Mind?