Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday...

     Hello reading friends!! It's Wednesday and time once again for What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday!! I must say that some weeks it seems like every day is Wednesday and I need to write something about what I am reading and I can't seem to finish a book to talk to ya'll about. Other weeks I've read four books and can't decide which one to write about first. This week happens to be one of those Wednesday weeks for me. Instead of writing about what I am currently reading, which is still Virals by Kathy Reichs, and I've already mentioned it twice; I thought I might just do a quick little mini review of a book that I've read before, but remains on my favorites list.
     The book is The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I would say most anything by Jodi Picoult is great, but this title is my favorite. She usually writes about very current and very controversial topics. For example, when genetic cloning was big in the news, she came out with her novel My Sister's Keeper. Also, Nineteen Minutes was released around the time of all the high school shootings. Her style of writing presents both sides to the story/issue and makes you really look at and see both sides. I am always amazed at the feelings she evokes and how much she makes me think about what I am reading even though her stories are fictional.
     The Pact is about a teen suicide pact. It addresses how a teenage gal and guy have been best friends forever and their families have been friends forever and then how they eventually get together and how that feels for each of them. It takes you back to dating and being in high school and all the emotions that go along with both. Even though, I never felt low enough to think about suicide, I know there are teens that do and Ms. Picoult makes this a very real part of the story. As a reader, you can feel what the characters are feeling and relate with what is going on. The idea that two teens would/could make a suicide pact is unfathomable to me and that's part of what keeps drawing me back to this novel. Ms. Picoult is such a good writer that you really feel for the characters and know what they are going through. In the end, she leaves you wondering how you would make the same choices given the same circumstances.
     If you are looking for a light read, Jodi Picoult is not an author for you. This is also the reason that I don't read more than one of her books in a row. I need to mix in some lighter reads as many of her novels are kind of depressing and they don't always end the way that you want them to. But, that is also part of what makes them so good.
      I haven't read all of her books, yet, but the ones I have read, I love. Try one out, you may love her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Mind?