Stacey's Favorite Books

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday...

What's in Your Library Bag Wednesday Readers!!!!
      As you know by now, some of us Librarians are tackling a classic together. We are reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. A few of us have put in on our Ipods and Nook, another got the large print copy and still another is reading the full text on the computer. I've never really been part of a book club before, but I love to read and I love sharing what I read with people. So, I am excited to be reading this book with my co-workers and friends. Please join in if you are interested; the more the merrier. We've kind of decided on a schedule of 5 chapters a week with comments amongst ourselves and here or on Facebook weekly. This is subject to change as we have or don't have time. We plan on watching a version of Jane Eyre together and talking more at the end of it all.
     For now, I wanted to start with some first impressions since I am almost finished with my 5 chapters. The first most notable impression I have is that it is not as hard to read as I thought it might be. I must admit that I had preconceived notions about the language, time period, etc. and dreaded reading it a bit. I am pleasantly surprised. The first chapter was a bit difficult, but chapters 2, 3, 4, & 5 have been easy going. I probably just had to get into the story a bit.
     Some of the language is different, but easy to follow. Growing up in today's society as I have, I am always shocked at how there is such a distinct difference in the classes of people and how they are treated and thought of and how women, especially young women, are viewed and treated. I want to yell at the people in the book and tell them to open their eyes and really see who is in front of them! I suppose that will keep my interest going; when a book elicits strong emotion it is always a good thing.\
     Lastly, after having talked with  Janette a bit, we both agree that the book itself is different than many of the books we normally read. Mainly, it has a lot more lengthy description than many either she or I have read. For me, so far, this is neither good nor bad; it just is what it is.
     I am interested to see what becomes of Jane next and am curious what everyone else thinks so far. Have any of you read Jane Eyre? Or have you decided to read along with us? Chime in and let us know what you think? Library gals, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I thought we were waiting until Fridays to chime in...what happened to my two days to finish chapter 5? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to read two books at once now. I have to finish Pillars of the Earth AND Jane Eyre. I might be behind on the reading for a while, but will catch up for the end.

    ReplyDelete

What's On Your Mind?